Kirkwood Village to East Decatur Station Walking Tour
Our series of hyper-local walking tours continues. On this Mother's Day excursion we will be exploring the beautiful neighborhoods of Kirkwood, Oakhurst, McDonough-Adams-Kings and East Decatur. There is an optional breakfast at Le Petit Marché on the front end and optional get-together at Three Taverns Brewing on the back-end.
Getting There & Back
- 09:00, Optional breakfast at Le Petit Marché (highly recommend)
- 10:00, Tour begins at Le Petit Marché
- 12:00, Agnes Scott College
- 1:00, Optional get-together at Three Taverns Brewery (highly recommend)
- The starting point of this tour is about 1.5 miles from the East Lake MARTA station
- Agnes Scott College is about 1/2 mile from the Decatur MARTA station
- Three Taverns Brewing is a few blocks from the Avondale MARTA Station is
- Please arrive at starting location 10-15 minutes before tour start time
- Total distance covered will be 5-6 miles
- You must be in excellent physical condition to participate on this tour
- Pets are welcome as long as they do not bother or scare other guests
- Children 13, and older, are welcome
- We go if drizzling; we cancel / reschedule if its raining
- Reg fees are non-refundable but you can apply them to a future tour if you have to cancel for any reason
Kirkwood traces its beginnings to residential development begun as early as the 1870s. While no one would consider Kirkwood a suburb of Atlanta today, an early tour book described it as an “area of beautiful suburban villas.” Kirkwood was an early streetcar suburb to Atlanta. By 1910 streetcars provided express service to and from Atlanta three times daily, and street cars continued service along some streets including Boulevard Dr (presently Hosea L Williams Dr) until the early 1950’s.
Kirkwood was incorporated as an independent municipality in 1899. Governed beginning in 1899 by its own city council and mayor, the town boasted its own water system, school systems and fire department. The former Kirkwood School is a handsome building from this period, located on Kirkwood Road just north of Bessie Branham Park. Individually nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, the primary building on the property’s south side was originally designed by John Francis Downing, the son of the noted Atlanta architect W. T. Downing. Both buildings now comprise the Kirkwood Lofts apartments as a result of a $1 million renovation in 1997.McDonough-Adams-Kings Highway (MAK) Historic District
The McDonough-Adams-Kings Highway (MAK) Historic District is the City of Decatur’s first local historic district. The MAK Historic District includes the properties on MAK as well as the properties located on the intersecting streets north of Oakview Road and south of College Avenue (i.e., Hancock, Ansley east of Kings Highway, Dougherty and East/West Davis Street). The MAK Historic District encompasses ten city blocks.
Most of the houses in the district were built from the inception of the neighborhood in 1907, when development of our neighborhood started on Adams Street, through the end of the 1930s, when houses on Kings Highway were completed. Through the decades, some of MAK’s beautiful homes were razed and new/in-fill construction on empty lots started to change the character of the historic neighborhood.
Agnes Scott College
Agnes Scott College was established in 1889 with a distinctive mission: to educate women for the betterment of their families and the elevation of their region. Today, that mission has evolved into a commitment to educate women from around the world to “think deeply, live honorably and engage the intellectual and social challenges of their times.”
The college was named in honor of Agnes Irvine Scott, a Scots-Irish immigrant who upheld a strong sense of integrity and intellectual curiosity. Her son Col. George Washington Scott was the college’s primary benefactor, and the Rev. Frank Henry Gaines, minister of Decatur Presbyterian Church, was the founding president.
Initially named the Decatur Female Seminary in 1889 and renamed the Agnes Scott Institute in 1890, the college was chartered as Agnes Scott College in 1906 and was the first institution of higher education in Georgia to receive regional accreditation.