NOTE TO BIKERS
Earlier this year, I led two series of sub-area walking tours around the Atlanta Beltline corridor (20 tours total). I learned a lot and there is a ton of cool stuff to see when you really get into the 45 neighborhoods that are inside the planning area. The problem was that the walks were a little long. That is why I decided to offer this series of (10) weekly sub-area bike tours. If you are an experienced rider and you want to really get to know the Beltline neighborhoods as well as the proposed development plans for these areas, please join me. If you are not a member, please consider joining Urban Explorers of Atlanta as you will save a lot of money. Hope to see you on the road. ~ Steve Saenz, Tour Guide
ABOUT THIS TOUR
During this tour we will be biking through some of the most eclectic and historic neighborhoods in all of Atlanta. Join us as we get off the beaten path and explore Glenwood Park, Cabbagetown, Edgewood and Reynoldstown. We will be visiting Historic Oakland Cemetery and riding along the Memorial Drive Greenway. We will also be riding through the northern end of the battlefield of the Battle of Atlanta.
The tour begins at Drip Coffee Shop in Glenwood Park ends at Krog Street Market. The entire tour will focus on Sub-area 4. There will be an optional get-together after the tour (location TBD).
ABOUT OUR SUBAREA TOURS
A series of ten guided bike tours that correspond with the ten sub-areas that are guiding the Atlanta Beltline Redevelopment Plan, which was adopted by the City of Atlanta in 2005.
The learning objective of these tours is get to get to know the 45 neighborhoods that are located within the planning area better. We focus on the built environment, history, trails, transit plans and parks. We also discuss and visit proposed access points, transit stops, transit connections and key development nodes.
An optional lunch after the tour serves as both a debrief of what we experience and a social gathering. If you are an experienced rider and would like to get to know these historic neighborhoods better, please join us.
These rides are not suitable for beginning bikers or individuals who have not ridden in a long time. They are for riders who are comfortable and confident riding long distances and in traffic.
YOUR TOUR GUIDE
Steve Saenz is the founder of Urban Explorers of Atlanta. Since 2014, Steve has led over 200 walking tours throughout Atlanta.
YOU SHOULD GO ON THIS TOUR IF...
- You like to explore new areas of town with an experienced tour guide
- You would like to learn more about the history of Atlanta and/or the Atlanta Beltline project
- You are interested in keeping up with the design and construction of the Atlanta Beltline multi-use trail and transit system
- You are interested in learning about topics such as land use, mobility and parks as they relate to the Atlanta Beltline project
- You would like to get a first-hand look at the housing stock that exists in each of the Beltline sub-areas
- You are interested in getting a better feel for the type of development that is (will be) occurring in the various sub-areas
- You lead a business / organization and would like to take a group of clients, employees, etc. that is interested in any of the above (see private tours below)
PRIVATE TOURS AVAILABLE
This tour is also available as a private walking, biking or bus tour. If you would like to schedule a private tour for your group, please contact member support for pricing and scheduling. Thank you.