NOTE TO BIKERS
Earlier this year, I led two series of sub-area walking tours around the Atlanta Beltline corridor (20 tours total). I learned a lot and there is a ton of cool stuff to see when you really get into the 45 neighborhoods that are inside the planning area. The problem was that the walks were a little long. That is why I decided to offer this series of (10) sub-area bike tours. If you are an experienced rider and you want to really get to know the Beltline neighborhoods as well as the proposed development plans for these areas, please join me. If you are not a member, please consider joining Urban Explorers of Atlanta as you will save a lot of money. Hope to see you on the road. ~ Steve Saenz, Tour Guide
ABOUT THIS TOUR
This tour begins at the West End MARTA station and ends at Eventide Brewing. The entire tour will focus on Sub-area 2.
From Lee Street in the west, Subarea 2 sweeps east all the way to Hill Street, over Metropolitan Avenue, running alongside University Avenue and passing under 75 / 85 at the University Avenue exit, and crossing McDonough Boulevard at grade where it intersects with University and Ridge Avenue.
Subarea 2 encompasses the following neighborhoods: Adair Park, Capitol View, Capitol View Manor, Chosewood Park, High Point Estates, Oakland City, Mechanicsville, Peoplestown, Pittsburgh, Sylvan Hills, and The Villages at Carver. The area includes D.H. Stanton Park, Four Corners Park, Carver High School, easy access to Turner Field, and a prime location on Atlanta’s Downtown Connector.
Our "sub-area" tours are for those who want to get to know the 45 Beltline neighborhoods better. The series consists of 10 different tours that correspond to the ten Atlanta Beltline Planning sub areas.
These guided tours are 8-12 miles in length (mostly flat) and last about three hours. We generally start and stop at a MARTA transit station. We also stop along the way to observe and discuss the neighborhoods we are riding through. Most tours include a picnic lunch at a park or similar location.
These rides are not suitable for beginning bikers or individuals who have not ridden in a long time. They are for riders who are comfortable and confident riding long distances and in traffic.
YOUR TOUR GUIDE
Steve Saenz is the founder of Urban Explorers of Atlanta. Since 2014, Steve has led over 200 walking tours throughout Atlanta.
YOU SHOULD GO ON THIS TOUR IF...
- You like to explore new areas of town with an experienced tour guide
- You would like to learn more about the history of Atlanta and/or the Atlanta Beltline project
- You are interested in keeping up with the design and construction of the Atlanta Beltline multi-use trail and transit system
- You are interested in learning about topics such as land use, mobility and parks as they relate to the Atlanta Beltline project
- You would like to get a first-hand look at the housing stock that exists in each of the Beltline sub-areas
- You are interested in getting a better feel for the type of development that is (will be) occurring in the various sub-areas
- You lead a business / organization and would like to take a group of clients, employees, etc. that is interested in any of the above (see private tours below)
PRIVATE TOURS AVAILABLE
This tour is also available as a private walking, biking or bus tour. If you would like to schedule a private tour for your group, please contact member support for pricing and scheduling. Thank you.